Low Back Pain
Low back pain is considered one of the most injuries that men may suffer from, usually it’s a stretching injury to the ligaments or/and the muscles of the lower back, this happens because of the overuse, misuse or trauma to those muscles and ligaments.
Low back pain is divided into two categories, acute which is there for days or weeks and the chronic which lasts for more than 3 months
What do low back muscles do for us?
- Protects the soft tissues of the nervous system and spinal cord, as well as adjacent organs of the pelvis and abdomen.
- When standing, the lower back holds most of the weight of the body.
- When bending, extending or rotating at the waist the lower back is involved in the movement.
What are the causes?
- Sudden or forceful movement.
- Muscle weakness
- Normal aging
- Spinal disk injury
- Obesity- being overweight
- Driving, sitting, or standing for long periods
- Bad posture while sitting or standing
Can we prevent low back pain?
Here are some tips that might help:
- Appropriate regular exercise that targets the lower back muscles to give them more strength and flexibility
- Learning proper lifting and moving techniques
- Learning the right posture while sitting and standing
- Maintaining a healthy body weight and health fat distribution that does not put a strain on the muscles of the lower back
Treatment oflow back pain:
Usually it can be treated, but first you have to see a doctor to examine you and give you the suitable treatment. The treatment can be one of the following options:
- taking some first
- Apply ice on your back or affected area for 15 to 20 minutes every hour or as directed.
- Apply heat on your back or affected area for 20 to 30 minutes every 2 hours for as many days as directed. Heat helps decrease pain and muscle spasms.
- massage and physical therapy
- specific exercises to strengthen the low back and abdominal muscles
- weight loss
- surgery in case of disk injury